Amateur Radio Station G3YPP

G3YPP - 1967 to 1972

I was first licensed in August 1969, but the photo below was taken around 1971.  My interest in radio started in 1967 through the Scouts when  a local ham - Mike Kidman G3SDK - set up a station at our scout hut for the annual "Jamboree on the Air".  I went home and started playing with my Dad's AR77 in the garage and was later allowed to bring it into the house.   It was huge!  I was later kindly given an Eddystone S640 receiver by another local ham - John Allen G3DOT.   This got me hooked and I started to study for the City and Guilds Radio Amateurs Examination (RAE) which I took in May 1969.  I was quietly confident that I had passed and took the Post Office morse test in the July.  I passed.  So when my RAE pass slip arrived in August I was able to apply for my Class A Amateur Radio Licence straight away.  I was licensed as G3YPP on 19th August 1969 shortly after my 16th birthday.

I got on the air with a Codar AT5 160/80m AM/CW transmitter designed for mobile use.  I had bought this from Mike, G3SDK, together with its matching T28 receiver and power supply unit.  These can be seen on my bench in the picture below. 

G3YPP circa 1971

After a few months I became operational on 2m.  For receive I bought a second hand valve 2m converter which was rather large but which worked very well using the Eddystone Rx as the IF.   On the transmit side I built a valve transmitter with a QQVO2-6 in the final giving 8-10 watts output.  This was from a design in the RSGB handbook and it worked for many years.  I used an old audio amplifier as the modulator and the whole lot was literally lashed together on the shelf (on the first shelf in the photo). 

The picture was taken after the acquisition of a brand new Trio 9R59DS general coverage receiver and also visible to the left is an ex-PMR Pye Cambridge AM 2m Tx/Rx which I got through the Dunstable Downs Radio Club which had acquired a job lot of several dozen.   This set up lasted until I went off to University at the end of 1972. 

I have now completed the digitisation of all my logbooks for this period.  I have uploaded them to LoTW,, ClubLog and eQSL; they are fully searchable by clicking on the menu item to the left.  I found the process of reading through my 50 year old logs fascinating as I had made lots of notes in the remarks columns.  I am really glad I still have them all.